Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Let the Rivers Run by Carly Simon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rCPwhC6R8A

I can remember the first time I heard this song. It’s the theme song for Working Girl. I was too young to watch the movie in theatres but when I finally did see it, it really spoke to me. Here’s a hard-working woman, who through perseverance and sharp intelligence, moves up in corporate America never losing her sweet personality. For a quick minute, I had dreams of moving to New York and having a financial career. Yes, a very quick minute. Then I returned to my ordinary life.
I began working within a department stores corporate headquarters outside DC about five years ago. I had dreams of making my way up the fashion ladder to becoming a buyer. I had a five-year plan. I had bought a car. Right around the corner was the husband, house and 2.5 kids and let’s not forget the cute little dog and white picket fence. But then came the disastrous news. My company was about to be gobbled up by an even bigger one. Like good little workers, we figured if we worked hard enough, they would keep our branch office open. We worked our fingers to the bone. Long hours, back breaking store visits, tons of coffee but the inevitable happened. They announced that we would be closing. There was talk of severance packages, new temporary roles and perhaps new jobs with the new company. I submitted my resume and had the job interview. I was given an offer to come to New York. But this is not what I wanted. I wanted to live in the suburbs with my husband and our 2.5 kids. I wanted relaxed paces and warm smiles from strangers. New York did not fit into my plan.
This meant that I needed a new plan. Either stay in DC and continue with plan A or switch to a new scary exhilarating plan B. I would sell my car, pack up all my belongings and make the transition. I can remember my first drive into the city. I was scared out of my mind. This big city with its big city traffic and horns and yelling. I had my ipod hooked up to the stereo system and randomly the song Let the Rivers Run came up “It’s asking for the taking. Trembling, shaking. Oh, my heart is aching”. Those lyrics washed over me. I could be strong. For there is a psalm that says “And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you” from Psalm 9:10.There are moments in our lives when fear can grip us. Largely the fear of the unknown. But never mind our plans, God has a plan. And God’s plan will focus on our actual needs and not what we think we need or want. It is very difficult at times to remember this. Not when moment after moment seems to be going wrong. But you have to remember to go with the flow of the power river that is God’s way. He will bring you where you need to go. You may not get there when you want to, but you will get there. I may be trembling, I may be shaking but I am standing with my God and my God will see me through.

~Latoya

We're coming to the edge, running on the water, coming through the fog, your sons and daughters.

Let the river run, let all the dreamers wake the nation. Come, the New Jerusalem.

Silver cities rise, the morning lights the streets that meet them, and sirens call them on with a song.

It's asking for the taking. Trembling, shaking.

Oh, my heart is aching.

We're coming to the edge, running on the water, coming through the fog, your sons and daughters.

We the great and small stand on a star and blaze a trail of desire through the dark'ning dawn.

It's asking for the taking. Come run with me now, the sky is the color of blue you've never even seen in the eyes of your lover.

Oh, my heart is aching. We're coming to the edge, running on the water, coming through the fog, your sons and daughters.

[guitar]

It's asking for the taking. Trembling, shaking. Oh, my heart is aching.

We're coming to the edge, running on the water, coming through the fog, your sons and daughters.

Let the river run, let all the dreamers wake the nation. Come, the New Jerusalem

No comments: