APPLY NOW FOR MISSION: RECONCILIATION
United Methodist Women is an organization whose purpose is to know God, experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ and to expand concepts of mission. In keeping with those long-held traditions, the National Seminar is a social justice leadership development event held every four years. It is an opportunity to explore current realities in the world and to dialogue about how we must respond. The 2011 National Seminar will be about enriching our understanding of the ministry of reconciliation. In a gathering that reflects our rich diversity of race, ethnicity, age and geographic makeup, the National Seminar will engage participants in:
- Bible study and spiritual reflection.
- Dialogue about current social, political and economic realities of our time.
- Critical analysis of the domestic and global issues that affect women, children and youth.
- Celebration of the extraordinary work that God is accomplishing through the witness of United Methodist Women.
- Equipping ourselves for the many works of justice—service, advocacy, caring and hospitality.
- Developing new tools to strengthen the witness of UMW conferences, districts, local units and other groups.
The National Seminar will be held August 13–18, 2011. Registration will begin at 1 p.m. on Saturday August 13. The seminar will begin on Saturday evening, August 13, and end the evening of Wednesday August 17, with departure on Thursday August 18. The location will be Sheraton Birmingham Hotel, 2101 Richard Arrington, Jr. Blvd., North, Birmingham, Ala. 35203 (http://www.sheraton.com/
Participation in the National Seminar includes United Methodist Women conference officers, district officers, selected jurisdictional representatives and Green Team members. This year, for the first time, we are conducting an open application for 25 additional women. They must reside in the United States (preferably five per jurisdiction) and must not have participated in any past National Seminar. These women must be connected to United Methodist Women through local or district units, United Methodist Women online social network or other United Methodist Women networks and are willing to be active with United Methodist Women, but do not serve in offices beyond the local or district units. Women’s Division will cover reasonable expenses of travel, registration and meals.
Space is limited and the application deadline is April 1, 2011.
To apply, go to: